Re: outside-staff-priority with slur and hairpin

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: outside-staff-priority with slur and hairpin
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:22:38 +0100

Jonathan Wilkes wrote Friday, September 18, 2009 7:12 PM

--- On Fri, 9/18/09, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

The difficulty is that there is no general rule that can be
used to discover
which properties have an effect on a particular grob and
which do not.
In this case one has to know that hairpins are spanners
(because they
start and end at different musical moments), and spanners
are positioned
by the appropriate spanner object.

I think this is the most difficult part of using Lilypond that I've
come up against.  Currently I'm using the IR as a kind of "quick
reference" manual- if I need to tweak something like how long a hairpin
should be, I just go to Hairpin and find what seems like the right
property. But as your explanation (and others on this list) point to,
there's a lot more to take into consideration to get the right
property (e.g., 'font-size vs. 'zigzag-width for the width of the trill continuation glyph).

Most of the time your approach will work, which is why I
chose to outline it in the Learning Manual, but there are a
number of situations where it breaks down.  Fortunately
these tend to arise only when tackling fairly esoteric typesetting
problems, so only the more experienced users are affected by
them.  But some of them, like using DynamicLineSpanner, are
more common, and these should be covered in the Learning
Manual, IMO.  BTW, I've added a new para to the LM to avoid
the particular problem you encountered.  It should appear in
the docs to 2.13.4.  And I intend to add an intro to spanners too,
but that might miss the next release as it will take a little longer.

Trevor