Re: What's up with fill-line?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: What's up with fill-line?
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:26:40 +0200

Carl Sorensen wrote:
If fill-line has one argument, it's centered.

If fill-line has two arguments, the first is left-aligned, the second is
right-aligned.

If fill-line has three or more arguments, the following rules apply:
The first argument to fill-line is left aligned.
The last argument to fill-line is right aligned
The remainder are centered on columns that are equally distributed.
[...]
It seems to me like your tagline here is exactly what you asked for:

fill the line  with three arguments:  a bar, a markup, and a bar.

The markup is the combination of a right-column with a left-column, which
glues the two columns together (the first is right aligned, the second is
left aligned).  The combined markup is centered in the tagline.

What is wrong with this output?

Ah, well. It was a bad example, I guess. Actually, it's four columns, since the two in the middle are not combined, and I expected a gap of the same distance between each of the columns. But with your explanations from above (which are not at all what I expect from the documentation of fill-line, although I see the rationale behind) it makes sense. I still don't see why there is space "wasted" and the line exceeds the right boundary, though. On the other hand, if I really want equal distribution in the sense of equal distance between _each_ two adjacent elements, regardless of their extent, is there a command to do so? Like an \hfill in LaTeX?

Besides, I mixed up two different problems in the tagline. Still open: How do I make a simple tagline, like
        \fill-line { LilyPond-left   Author-right },
behave correct? Just stating tagline = ... is not enough, since then I run into the nested fill-line. Do I really have to override oddFooterMarkup? As you said, a single fill-line argument should be centered, so there should not be a horizontal offset. Why is this not the case if it's again a fill-line command (or, I guess, any other markup taking the whole line width)?

To me, it looks like there is a \null element inserted at the beginning (and probably also at the end) if only one argument is given. Which would explain both the dependency of word-space and the remaining micro offset even if word-space = 0.

Well, with the fixed oddFooterMarkup, _I_'m fine for now, but it's not quite the most user-friendly way...

Thanks,
Alexander