Re: A6-sheet

From: Andrew Tucker
Subject: Re: A6-sheet
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 21:15:03 -0400

On Sep 25, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Jeroen Heijmans wrote:

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 22:28, Andrew Tucker <address@hidden > wrote:

On Sep 25, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Jeroen Heijmans wrote:

I've forced the evenly spread with 'system-count = 5' but, I think
that's not the way to create small sheets(?).
It's just something I can't really pinpoint.
The staves need to be closer to eachother.
Marchingsheet-music looks different than this.

It looks better to me (notes spaced more naturally - and you get the staves
closer together) without the 'system-count=5'.

Hmmzz.. it does look better.
Last time I tried it, I got 2 pages out of it.
What did I do wrong back then ;)

Is the \paper { } stuff above '%annotate-spacing = ##t' really needed
for this size or am I being completely wrong about the rest?
Is there a simple way to tell lilypond to create only 1 page and to
resize or even to scale down when needed? I think that that's the
feature I'd like :D

As far as I know, there's no way to tell LilyPond, "whatever it takes, cram this onto 1 page" - and that's just because there are so very many options available to change the use of space! When I was last making marching parts, I used the following template:

#(set-global-staff-size 11) %11 for 'pocket scores' - I like 14 for readability
#(set-default-paper-size "5x7")
\paper {
         top-margin = 2\mm
        % bottom-margin = 2\mm
         page-top-space = 1\mm
         line-width = 6.7\in
         between-system-padding = 1\mm
        ragged-last = ##t %last system width
        % ragged-last-bottom = ##t %last page vertical spread
}

Where "5x7" was a custom paper size I made in ( paper.scm ? ), 5 inches by 7 inches being the size of my flip-book pages; "line-width" was necessary to set the right margin or something... When I next make marching parts, I'll probably just use a6 'landscape like you did

- the real lesson here is to take out all those \paper arguments; then try adding in one at a time until you find the least that you really need to get the desired result. between-system-padding had the biggest single effect, if I remember correctly.

If you come up with something that really works well, could you share it? Or maybe someone out there already has a good marching flip-book- size template, and could put it in the snippets repository?

all the best,
  Andrew Tucker
  http://tuckerandrew.net