Re: finale->lilypond?

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: finale->lilypond?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:20:50 -0500

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Laura Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>>> "Frédéric" == Frédéric Bron <address@hidden> writes:

   Frédéric> A friend of mine is used to Finale. I try to convert him
   Frédéric> to lilypond.  What is the best way to convert a score
   Frédéric> from Finale to Lilypond?  Regards,

What *ought* to be the best way is to have Finale save the file as a
MusicXML file, and then use musicxml2ly to convert it.

I don't have any experience with doing this -- the Finale users I know
refuse to find options in the Finale menus.  If you want to try it
out, there do seem to be some MusicXML files on the Werner Icking

I've done this probably a dozen times (exporting from Finale and converting to .ly) and it works pretty well. There are some things to clean up (duplicated dynamic markings, for example) but overall it works a lot better than one might expect.

Jon
--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com