Slur through a rest

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Slur through a rest
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
     Below is an example of a slur that's stumping me.  Could anyone
suggest a way of avoiding the rest that doesn't mess up the continuation
after the line break?  I've tried adjusting 'positions but it doesn't
produce an effect.

Also, I noticed that when I use the \break that is commented out instead of the
other one, I get the following error and no line break:

warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using
bar checks?

It obviously has to do with grace notes, and I saw a relevant email here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-10/msg00040.html

but what does it mean to "sync" grace notes across staves?

Thanks,
Jonathan

snippet:

\version "2.13.3"

staffPiano = \new PianoStaff {
        \set PianoStaff.midiInstrument = #"acoustic grand"
        \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Piano  "
                \time 3/4
                                <<
                \context Staff = "RH" {  % Right hand
                        \clef treble
                        \key c \major
                        \relative c' {
                                \new TimeSig
                                  R2. | R2. | r4 r s4 | s2. %\break

                                  s2. | R2. | R2. |
                \context Staff = "LH" {  % Left hand
                        \clef bass
                        \key c \major
                        \relative c {
                                <<
                                { s2. |
                                  s2. |
                                  aes8^\p\( bes \times 2/3 { f' g d' } \change
Staff = "RH" fis b |
                                  e bes' \times 2/3 { c g d } \times 2/3 {
fis'4-- e,8 } \break

                                  \grace { aes16[ bes] } g'4~--
                                  \times 2/3 { g8 e \acciaccatura a, <des, a'> }
                                  <des a'>32 c'8\) r16. | \change Staff = "LH"
s2. | s2. |
                                }
                                \new Voice { R2. | R2. | s2. | R2. | R2. |
R2.*2 }

\score {
        <<
                \staffPiano