Re: Slur through a rest

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: Slur through a rest
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Neil Thornock <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Neil Thornock <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Slur through a rest
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 1:43 PM
> Well I haven't tested this, but I
> generally have troubles with slurs
> that cross staves, such as you have here.  What you
> want to use are
> the control-points and probably some type of offset.
> A good
> implementation of cross-staff slurs someday will be
> wonderful.

Hi Neil,
     Thanks, I haven't tried an offset yet.  Quick question: is it
possible to set separate control points both for the slur and its
continuation after a line break?
     I think what frustrates me about this is that I can't use the
'positions property in the same way I do for beams.  It's like Lilypond
is hiding several options for slur positions, and is making me guess
the magic number to trigger the right one. Even for less problematic
slurs, sometimes I just want to move
the 'positions by a small, discrete amount without resorting to
'control-points.

> > It obviously has to do with grace notes, and I saw a
> relevant email here:
> >
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-10/msg00040.html
> >
> > but what does it mean to "sync" grace notes across
> staves?
>
> I think he means that you need spacer grace notes in every
> staff at
> the same location as the actual grace notes.  You
> should see the break
> problem go away if you do.
Ah, ok, I was putting them just in both voices of one staff.

> Hang in there -- I used Finally for 13 years but will never
> go back
> now that I've gotten Lilypond under my belt.  The
> output is simply too
> beautiful.

I agree.  Also, now that I've looked back at Stone's rules for cross-
staff beams, I'm amazed how Lilypond gets these right most of the
time.

I'll definitely continue to use and learn Lilypond; and when it gets
to a point where slurs, line-broken spanners, braces, margins, and
note positions can be more flexibly manipulated, I'm sure I can convince
a lot of others to jump in as well.  From what I've seen of its
development, seems like it's definitely on its way.

Thanks,
Jonathan