Re: regression? [was Re: BeatLength and BeatGrouping]

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: regression? [was Re: BeatLength and BeatGrouping]
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 22:25:45 -0300

thank you carl for your answer. i still think that 2.13.4 has some
beaming issues.

>We've had a serious discussion about whether eighth note beams should
>end on every beat or only on beats 2 and 4.
>
>We came down on the side of ending eighth note beams on 2 and 4,
>because it seemed to fit Stone's rules.

OK, i agree that in 4/4 eight notes can be beamed in groups of two
every quarter note or in groups of 4 every half note. i accept as
correct beaming in groups of four.

*** but only as long as you only have 8th notes, and not when smaller
values like 16ths are involved ***

in fact, the message you directed me to suggests the same:

> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/23515

(see last paragraph by Trevor Daniels)

now, 2.13.4 correctly beams every quarter note when 16th notes are
present, **except in one case:**  a 16th rest followed by a dotted 8th
(see second bar in the attached image).

this is inconsistent with the other cases and i see it as a bug. i
think the dotted eight should be detached from the following eight
notes.

best,

lj