Re: MY error, but wish the log was clearer.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: MY error, but wish the log was clearer.
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:52:16 +0200

Often, you don't have to explicitly write out any \score{...} block in your file, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-learning/Introduction-to-the-LilyPond-file-structure#Introduction-to-the-LilyPond-file-structure

However, your feature request is certainly relevant, so I forward it to the bug mailing list.

  /Mats

aliteralmind wrote:
I'm using LilyPond for the first time in months. Feels goooood.

I was about to ask why-the-heck is my LY code being analyzed (I get an
appropriate message when I purposefully put in a syntax error), but when I
fix the error, no PDF is generated. It just stops. I realized, after
halfway-composing my help-me forum message, that I didn't put in the "score"
element.

The log was giving me this:

-------------------
# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `E:/temp/mysong/mysong.ly'
Parsing...
-------------------

Then in just stopped. Nothing. I thought I somehow messed up my computer in
the past months. I put in the "score" element and now it works.

What I WISH the log would say, when no PDF or MIDI is generated, is
something like this:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `E:/temp/mysong/mysong.ly'
Parsing...
[END. No PDF or MIDI generation requested] -------------------

Anyway, I just wanted to make that comment. Thanks for considering.