Re: adjusting first part of slur across system break

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: adjusting first part of slur across system break
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 00:01:50 +0100

David Nalesnik wrote Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:16 PM

I've found information on how to alter the second half of slurs which span a line-break, but I can't find anything about adjusting the first half while
keeping the cloned half at the default.

I've constructed a simple example showing what happens when I break a certain slur. In the second version, I'd like the first half of the slur to
begin above the stem (as it does in the unbroken example)
while keeping the second half of the slur exactly as it is. Is there a way to do this by adjusting the workaround from the "Difficult Tweaks" section
of the NR?
I would appreciate any help you could give me with this!

It's easier than you think!  The first half
of the broken slur is just the original slur.
So the following override inserted just before
the note on which the slur starts will lift
the start of the first part a bit:

 \once\override Slur #'positions = #'( 4 . 0 )

(Note that the slur positions are not continuously
variable - changing them seems to cause discontinuous
jumps in position sometimes.  I don't know why.)

This is not too bad, but if you want something
more precise you'll need to tweak the control
points of the slur.

Trevor