Re: tie direction problems

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: tie direction problems
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 21:43:17 -0700

Hi Nick,

On 2009-10-02, Nick Didkovsky wrote:

> I was using 2.11.37 when I reported this problem
> I upgraded to  2.12.2 but the problem remains, unfortunately
> I am reluctant to use tieUp tieDown because then I will need to
> specify stem direction as well. These are things LilyPond has been
> doing fine without my specifying and I'd like to keep it that way.
> It makes better decisions about stem directions than I do. And it is
> only this situation when there is more than one voice on the staff
> where the problem arises.
> Is this an acknowledged bug with a chance of a fix?

You are using more than one voice, so that is why the ties are up
instead of down.  The stem direction won't change if you use \tieUp or
\tieDown.

If you just want to override some of the ties, use

  c''4_~\noBeam

Have you read the Learning Manual?  I believe these issues are
thoroughly covered there.

-Patrick