Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: another route from MIDI to lilypond (from NtEd developer)
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:47:11 +0200

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 06:48:58PM +0200, Joerg Anders wrote:

>> all, what we really want is for midi2ly to "do the right thing" ...
>
> I had a look into midi2ly. Althought I like Python and I know how much
> things can be done with only a few Python lines, from my experience with
> NtEd and a half year of work at the MIDI importer I say: A good MIDI
> --> Score conversion is impossible with about 1000 Python lines.
> It is more complicated.

I'm well aware of that. My first aim is to make midi2ly maybe not
perfect but at least useable with not extremely complicated MIDI files.
The current version is too buggy to be useable with even the simplest
MIDI file.

The resulting lilypond file can then be edited and corrected by hand.

Which brings me to a featurerequest to the guy(s) that develop
Frescobaldi:

It would be nice if Frescobaldi had menu items "import MIDI file" and
"import MusicXML". Maybe it can call midi2ly or musicxml2ly with the
appropiate, configurable, commandline options to create a temporary
file, and then load the result - ready for editing in the Frescobaldi
editor ? Just a thought, maybe it can be done.

--

Martin Tarenskeen