Re: Midi-output not generated

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Midi-output not generated
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:24:13 +0100

Paul Rijke wrote Monday, October 12, 2009 12:42 PM

I think you're right. I tried the example in the manual and I hear the bd4 dn4 bd4 sn4 in the midi, but only that! Do you think that this will be
fixed,

Most unlikely in the foreseeable future.  None
of the current developers seem interested in
working on midi.

cause I really like it this way so I can create and combine all kind
of patterns to create a score very easily.

    \new DrumStaff <<
      \new DrumVoice = "1" { s1 *2 }
      \new DrumVoice = "2" { s1 *2 }
      \drummode {
        bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4
        <<
          { \repeat unfold 16 hh16 }
          \\
          { bd4 sn4 bd4 sn4 }

      }

\midi { }

While this construct is nicer it's not really
much harder to set out the score as I suggested
below.  You need to change only the two music
variables to produce another score.  Use spacer
notes (skips) if one voice is silent.

Trevor

Paul

I haven't made extensive tests, but it seems the << {..} \\ {...} >>
construct is incompatible with midi (drum?) output.  If you
rearrange your score to use explicitly defined DrumVoice contexts it
should work.  Something like this:

musicOne = \drummode {
 \repeat unfold 8 { cymr8 }
}
musicTwo = \drummode {
 bd8 bd8 bd4 bd8 bd8 bd4
}

\score {
 \new DrumStaff <<
   \new DrumVoice {
     \voiceOne
     \musicOne
   }
   \new DrumVoice {
     \voiceTwo
     \musicTwo
   }

 \layout { }
 \midi { }
}

I'll add this limitation to the Notation Reference after I've
checked further (or if someone else confirms it before I find the
time to check it).

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Rijke" <address@hidden>