Equivalent of \downbow/\upbow on bar lines?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Equivalent of \downbow/\upbow on bar lines?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 10:17:07 +0200

Hi,

I am just setting a piece for accordion.  Accordion notes have push and
pull symbols that are somewhat similar to downbow/upbow (I use the
latter for now as a somewhat dissatisfactory substitute).  Now the
problem is that it is rather common with the accordion to not change
bellows direction often.  As a consequence, the equivalents of
upbow/downbow tend to hold for whole measures.  If this is the case, the
symbol is typically placed above the bar line, or at least between
notes.  Whereas putting a direction sign directly on a note is more
commonly done when the direction is just used for a single note or
chord.

Any idea how to go about this?  It would probably be ok to just place
the sign a bit to the left of the starting note, like a \breathe tends
to be placed behind it.

--
David Kastrup