Re: Need help creating a template

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Need help creating a template
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:37:29 +0200

Am Freitag, 16. Oktober 2009 23:57:27 schrieb Glendan Lawler:
> Hey everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me create a template
> similar to the makam template for Turkish music, but instead for Byzantine
> music.  I can make a guess from looking at the makam.ly how it works, but
> there are a few parts I don't understand.   First, in this code:
>
> makamPitchNames = #`(
>   (c . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 NATURAL))
>
> What does the -1 and the 0 mean?  In think the 0 is the scale degree, not
> sure, but I have no idea what the -1 does.

It's the octave (for absolute note entry): 0 is the octave that starts at c',
- -1 is one octave lower.

> Second:

>   (bbm . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 6 BUYUKMUCENNEB))
>
>   ;; f for flat.
>   (cfc . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 (- KOMA)))
>
> What is the ;; f for flat do?

That's a comment (you are inside a Scheme expression starting with the #,
where a semicolon is the comment character).

> Does that mean that cf = c-flat?  is that
> some kind of option?  If I change the "f" to an "x", will that make cx =
> c-flat?

No, that line does not have any effect.

> And lastly (I hope) :
>
> #(define eksikMirroredSlashedFlat
>   (if (defined? 'eksikMirroredSlashedFlat)
>        eksikMirroredSlashedFlat #f))
>
> What is this for and what does it do?  It seems like the following code
>  maps the values to the corresponding font characters, but then there's
>  this little bit of code out front, and I don't know what to make of it...

If you look e.g. at the value for -5/18 in the map, you see that the code
checks for the value of eksikMirroredSlashedFlat. If that is set before
including makam.ly, then a different glyph is used for the accidental...

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886