Re: orchestra/opera example

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: orchestra/opera example
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:23:55 +0100

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 06:09:20PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > ... ok, never mind.  My vote definitely goes for the opera.  Something
> > like page 18.  That has plenty of "wow" factor, although maybe
> > Valentin can suggest a later section with even more stuff.  Hmm...
>
> Page 18 does look good indeed. Haven't had a look at it in eight
> months, and re-discovering it kind of made me go "wow" myself (not the
> notes, who cares, but the scoring, the layout and the articulation
> marks).

> Page 160: nice global crescendo, voices, and cross-staff piano

My vote is currently for one of these two.  On page 160, bars 39 -
41 would be good.  Remember that with the narrower widths, it's
best to have fewer bars.

I kind-of wish that page 160 has some percussion.  I don't mind
the lack of marimba, but many orchestral pieces have at least one
1-line staff.  Do you feel like adding something?  (maybe at the
cresc going into 41 ?)

It would also be nice to have the changing time signatures like
you do in the Prologue, but that would require significantly more
arranging / engraving.

Any other thoughts on the orchestral example from other people?

Cheers,
- Graham

PS since I can't let you ever think that I'm happy... why on earth
didn't you mention this when Jonathan was asking for examples a
few months ago?!  That would have saved various people quite a bit
of time and energy.  Contributors sending scores to Jonathan and
me, the two of us trying to find diplomatic ways of saying "that
looks nice, but there's no wow"... for that matter, even just *me*
saying to *Jonathan* "yeah, your full orchestral score looks nice,
but there's no wow".