Inserting a space between certain notes in Lilypond

From: Miller
Subject: Inserting a space between certain notes in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:15:09 +0000 (UTC)

I've tried the documentation and various snippets, but I'm not having any luck
with the following:

I'm trying to force extra spacing in between specific notes in Lilypond.  In
general, the spacing is good.  However there occurs a sequence (in 4/4) time
where a measure starts with a half note tied to an eighth note and then
followed by a separate eighth note.  In the lyrics, this is the end of one
sentence and the beginning of the next.

However, the second eighth note is very close to the previous tied half+eighth
note.  I'd like to increase the spacing between these two notes to represent
their phrasing more accurately.

(By default, Lilypond wanted to join the two eighths together with a beam,
which was even more confusing.  I overrode that with \autoBeamOff...On)

The snippet is like this:
    b'8. b'16 b'4. b'8 a' g'
    \autoBeamOff fis'2( fis'8)
    % Want space here
    \autoBeamOn d'8 fis' a'

This kind of sequence occurs frequently in the piece.  The overall spacing of
the score is fine.  It's just occasionally that I want to make sure that
there's a visual separation where indicated above.

I tried the following:
1. Overridding the SpannerSpacing common-shortest-duration - this increased the
overall spacing, which made it look more spread out overall, but didn't fix the
issue.
\layout \context \Score \override SpacingSpanner #'common-shortest-duration = #
(ly:make-moment 1 16)

2. Overriding the SeparationItem/padding... but this didn't seem to have any
useful effect.

3. Using a spacer-rest, but this obviously took away beats from the measure,
bumping following notes into the next measure.

4. Using a grace-note spacer-rest... but this didn't have any effect.
e.g: \grace s4 ...

Any other suggestions?