Re: indent-ly

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: indent-ly
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:56:58 +0100

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 07:47:01AM -0700, -Eluze wrote:

> Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> > I think it does a nice job, but comments are welcome.
> >
> - it would be nice to have an option to replace the file directly instead of
> having to copy/paste the resulting file

Definitely!

> - scheme code is not handled (or indented uniformly)

Yes, scheme code should be formatted in the scheme way.

> - if within brackets there are tabs after the code and before the
> end-bracket they are replaced by a bunch of blanks

Hmm, I'm not certain how often this would come into play.

> - in my programming style i prefer to have the endbracket aligned with the
> code above - maybe with an additional option this could be solved!?

I'd argue against this -- the point of a unified style /
indentation scheme is that it's *standard*.  Now, if this program
is just a random fun project, it doesn't matter what it does or
how many options there are.  But if this is going to turn into a
standard script for formatting lilypond files, included in the
main lilypond distributions (and I dearly hope it will, since it's
an annoying problem that can be solved with an easy program), then
I don't think we should have many options at all.

One more item to consider: whitespace at the ends of lines should
be stripped.

Cheers,
- Graham