Re: bad musicxml2ly output

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: bad musicxml2ly output
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:50:47 +0200

Am Dienstag, 20. Oktober 2009 14:52:57 schrieb address@hidden:
> Dear Reinhold,
>   I meant to convert this song to view the lyrics, but the console gave
>  lots of "encountering unprocessed blah blah", and the lyrics are very
>  terribly ordered. What's wrong with it?

There's nothing wrong with the song. But there are many problems with
musicxml2ly:

1) That song uses "modern" beaming, where a beam does not indicate a melisma
(i.e. multiple notes to the same syllable). By default, musicxml2ly uses
manual beaming, where two beamed notes belong to the same syllable. In that
case, the lyrics for the second note will be ignored. You can get around this
by using "musicxml2ly --no-beaming feelings.xml". Then, however, all beaming
information from the xml file will be lost. I don't see any way around this,
since lilypond handles beaming and lyrics quite different from Finale.

2) The "unprocessed EndingSpanner" warning messages come from the fact that
the song contains lots of more or less nested repeats with alternatives, which
are not correctly handled by musicxml2ly :(

3) Even if you use --no-beaming, musicxml2ly seems to ignore lyrics extender
lines (or rather, they are not present in the .xml file), and it will put the
chord names below the staff instead of above.

4) The lyrics "bra -  zos" in measure 31 are wrongly put into measure 19...

etc.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886