Skipping notes with a hyphenated word

From: Father Horton
Subject: Skipping notes with a hyphenated word
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:33:36 -0500

Minimal example:

\version "2.12.0"

lyricsOne = \lyricmode { la -- la -- la }
lyricsTwo = \lyricmode { la \skip 4 la }
%lyricsThree = lyricmode { me -- " " me }

muzik = \relative c' { c2\( c4\) c }

\score {
  \context Staff <<
    \context Voice = melody { \muzik }
    \context Lyrics = one \lyricsto melody \lyricsOne
    \context Lyrics = two \lyricsto melody \lyricsTwo
 %   \context Lyrics = three \lyricsto melody \lyricsThree

}

I'm trying to set two verses. Verse 1 has an extra note, and it's no problem to get rid of it in verse 2 with \skip. The problem is that the word in verse 2 is actually a hyphenated word, so a hyphen of some sort _must_ appear.

Using \skip won't work because a lyric hyphen doesn't like having a skip at the end. Using a blank space (as shown in my example above) doesn't work because the hyphen decides it doesn't need to be there and goes away altogether.

But adding either a " " or a \skip produces error messages--apparently hyphens are finicky about what must appear at either end. A mailing list search revealed that creating a fake melody line and assigning it to DevNull is not a highly-regarded option, which is just as well because I haven't yet figured out how to make that work.

Am I stuck with specifying durations manually for the verse? Should I forge bravely ahead and try to figure out DevNull? Or is there something obvious I'm missing?