Re: website so close, and yet so far

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: website so close, and yet so far
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:54:02 +0100

Graham,
Is this any use?

Cheers,
Ian

Graham Percival wrote:
  Apparently, nobody knows what Denemo is.  (or else nobody can be
  arsed to send me a bloody two-sentence description)

(From www.denemo.org)

Denemo is a music notation program for Linux and Windows that lets you rapidly enter notation for typesetting via the LilyPond music engraver. Music can be typed in at the PC-Keyboard, or played in via MIDI controller, or input acoustically into a microphone plugged into your computer's soundcard.

Denemo itself does not engrave the music for printout - it uses LilyPond which generates beautiful sheet music to the highest publishing standards. Denemo just displays the staffs in a slim and efficient way, so you can enter and edit the music efficiently.

My bit:
Denemo is a wisiwig front-end editing program for generating Lilypond scores. I've attached a screenshot if you want it. (I don't use this editor myself, I prefer LilypondTool in JEdit and Frescobaldi.)

-    Introduction->Alternative input
  Apparently, nobody knows what emacs or vim are.  (or else nobody
  can be arsed to send me a bloody two-sentence description)

Emacs is a text editor with language-sensitive capabilities for many different computer languages. Emacs is a highly extensible editor and can be used as an Integrated Development Environment. There is a 'lilypond mode' which supplies the language definitions for working with Lilypond source files. It is one of the two most popular editors on Unix/Linux Systems, although the GNU implementation is available for all platforms.

Vim is the other popular text editor for Unix/Linux systems and is an extension of the older Unix vi editor. It is also extensible and configurable and available for most platforms, including Linux, Unix, Windows and MAC-OS.

PNG image