Re: do you care about bug reports?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: do you care about bug reports?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 01:19:27 +0100

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:25 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> In the past few months, a few bug reports have gotten lost.  A few
> emails to the bug-lilypond list were never added to the bug
> tracker, so even if a developer wanted to work on it, he wouldn't
> know about the bug.

Hi Graham,

there are only 34 bug reports that haven't been addressed or added to
the tracker, most of which are less than two weeks old.

(Okay, I really do need to take some time and address these once and for all.)

> Honestly, I don't care.  We have over 300 bugs, up from 60 or so a
> few years ago.  We already have more bugs than programmer-hours.
> Ok, losing bug reports isn't ideal... but I'm not willing to take
> action to fix it, so I can't claim to actually *care* about this
> problem.

These are *not* lost. Not now, not ever.

> Does anybody in the user community care about it?

I do. It may not seem that way, but I really do.

> That's it!  Once you're used to the work-flow, takes about 15
> minutes a week.

Hm. A bit more, actually :-)

(Which is why I tend to not add some bugs to the tracker right away,
as soon as it has to take me more than 5 minutes to understand a) what
it is about b) what a minimal example should look like c) whether it
has already been known and reproduced or not d) whether it's a
regression e) Yeah, it's a terrible excuse. But you get the point ;-)

> We can have 2 or 3... or even 5 or 6... Bug Meisters.  Actually,
> it would be a great idea to have multiple people, in case somebody
> goes on holiday or whatever.

For what it's worth, I'd be happy to share this task with someone else
(even unexperienced). But please don't say we don't have any
bugmeister right now, that's (er...) only half true at best :)

Cheers,
Valentin