Re: do you care about bug reports?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: do you care about bug reports?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:59:39 +0100

> In this case, you're the customer/reader.  If you don't understand
> what the bug reporter is trying to tell you, it's their fault for not
> explaining it clearly enough.  Maybe you're just not familiar with
> Ukranian accordian notation.  Maybe you're like me, and have never
> written stuff with lyrics.  Yeah, those bug reports were fun to
> handle... but if you just say "sorry, I'm not at all familiar with
> lyrics.  What is this extender line thing supposed to look like?",
> then you can't go wrong.

It still implies that Valentin has to learn what the extender line thing
is supposed to be like.  That's fine if he is the only one who is going
to fix or understand the bug.  But if chances are that the people who
will end up fixing the bug _have_ the requisite knowledge, it is not
effective to pass the bug report through Valentin.

What are you going to do if somebody complains about wrong Chinese
ligatures?  There may be somebody able to understand and fix the bug.
And there might be somebody able to do this in a year when he joins the
developers and sees the report in the bug database.

--
David Kastrup