Re: do you care about bug reports?

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: do you care about bug reports?
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:27:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 10/27/09, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: do you care about bug reports?
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tuesday, October 27, 2009, 7:16 PM
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> >      Here's a bug I submitted about a
> month ago.  I don't currently
> > see it in the bug tracker.
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2009-09/msg00088.html
>
> I'm not sure this should be considered a "bug": scanning
> through my library, it appears that scaling (and *not*
> vertical stretching, as you desire) is the
> standard/traditional practice, e.g., the attached PNG
> ("Jupiter" from Holst's "The Planets"):

Hi Kieren,
     Thanks for the scan.  If you look closely, however, you'll see that
it is stretched vertically-- not in a literal, Finale-like way, but in an
elegant way that keeps the middle of each brace about the same width
(about 3 pixels across) in your PNG.  Additionally, the thick part of the
curve in the larger brace is less wide to help match the weight of the
smaller brace.
     I submitted another example to try to show this more clearly.  The
reference is a Debussy score (1st prelude of the 2nd book).  I guess
"stretched vertically" is a bit vague; I guess what I'm seeing is that
as braces get larger, they are less thick than a perfectly scaled
version of the smaller brace.

Does that make sense?

-Jonathan