Re: Inline score inside markup - bugs in music alignment

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Inline score inside markup - bugs in music alignment
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:09:45 -0700 (PDT)

David Kastrup wrote:

> I recommend magic.  At some point of time reality has to intrude.  If
> there is no way to find an arrangement meeting all requirements by hand,
> the computer can do no better.

I do not think I am trying to do something magical. Although I have to admit
with great respect to the creators of Lilypond that the software is capable
of doing magic things. My deepest reverence towards the authors of Lilypond.
Nevertheless, I have still good hope that there might be an able scheme
coder who could find the function making the score to jump to the start of a
new line when it is a longer excerpt and disable it for me. I am so sorry
that I did not study computer science so that I would understand scheme
coding, but to my greatest misfortune it is above my capabiblities. I am
alone to be blamed for this, but this is the reason that I am looking for
someone to help.

David Kastrup wrote:

> I happen to be the author of a LaTeX style file that typesets footnotes,

This is EXCELLENT. Do you know that
http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg13795.html I offered
sponsorship  for someone who would built footnotes into the Lilypond? THere
was even a rich man who promissed to make a double match for footnotes to be
programmed. I would be most delighted if you took up the challenge! Of
course, complete markup and score (breakable at any point) and freely
mixable with the text should be native to lilypond footnotes.

David Kastrup wrote:

> Applying some of this to the context of scores, you would not want to
> have a _multi-line_ excerpt broken across lines.  And not have one
> five-line excerpt end at the start of a line, have a few words of text,
> and the next excerpt start in the same line.  And don't break a score
> excerpt if you don't save some space.  And so forth and so on.

Why do you think I would not like that? I am aiming exactly at that. For me
it would be beneficial, if music would finish at the start of a line, then
few words of a text, and then new excerpt starting - better than when the
new exceprt starts a new line, disturbing the justified half-empty line
above. This is exacly my goal: making from the music and the text something
like one uninterrupted flow which would go from one line to another. If this
function is built into Lilypond for a single line, if we have multi-line
markuplines, if we now have multi-line score inside it, then it should be
minimum effort to make it function for more than one line. We are almost
there, it is enough - in my humble opinion - to disable the function which
instructs the longer score to start a new line. If you wish, I am offering
sponsorhip for this function. Again, help is appreciated and just ask for
reward if it is not a trivial task. Although I am not really rich man, I
would try hard to meet your requirements.

David Kastrup wrote:

> Justifying text deals with other stretchabilities as justifying music.
> They don't match very well.

This is not quite true. For a single line, the stretchability works
extremely well (see the appended example). Why should it not work for more
than one line?

With the best wishes and best hopes,
Jiri Zurek

%begin lilypond example
\version "2.12.2"
\markuplines {
  \justified-lines {
  1st manuscript variant:
  \vcenter
  \score {
    <<
      \new Voice = "cantus" { \clef "G_8" f g c'( d') e' }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "cantus" { A -- ve, ve -- rum }

     \layout { indent = 0.0\cm
      \context {
        \Staff
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
        fontSize = #-7
        \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -7)
        \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -7)
      }
      \context {
        \Lyrics
        \override LyricText #'font-size = #-4
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0 . 0)

    and so on; consider 2nd manuscript variant:

  \vcenter
  \score {
      <<
      \new Voice = "cant" { \clef "G_8" f4 a4 c' (d') }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "cant" { A -- ve, -- ve. }

    \layout { indent = 0.0\cm
      \context {
        \Staff
        \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(0 . 0)
        fontSize = #-7
        \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -7)
        \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -7)
      }
      \context {
      \Lyrics
      \override LyricText #'font-size = #-4
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-0 . 0)
and so on... no problem with short excerpts. They are perfectly inline,
music and the text.
%end lilypond example

http://old.nabble.com/file/p26129806/Komentar_s_notama_vice.pdf
Komentar_s_notama_vice.pdf