Re: Using IPA lyrics

From: Michael Lauer
Subject: Re: Using IPA lyrics
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:48:49 +0000 (UTC)

Glendan Lawler <glendan.lawler <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Problem Unresolved and Worsened....So not only is the old problem of garbled
IPA still there, now I'm having problems with basic Latin as well.  For the
staff lyrics, it seems I'm now also having trouble with the letter capital "N",
which for some inexplicable reason is now being rendered in the pdf as an under-
dotted capital "Ị".

Believe it or not, this is a problem with the font. See

http://old.nabble.com/Character-change-on-Vista-td20146841.html

It's fixed in the version that ships with Windows 7 (I don't have the
version number handy).

> It looks fine here too, with 2.12.1.   But I noticed my editor was garbling
some IPA. It is set to use DejaVu Sans Mono.

> If  I change your lyrics font override to DejaVu Sans Mono, then Lilpond
garbles my output too.  Cheers,Robin

The DejaVu Sans Mono results look to me like there might be a bug
in the font, but really I have no idea.

But I think you don't want DejaVu Sans Mono or TNR anyway; you want a serif
font that really and truly supports IPA. Look at Gentium, Doulos, and
Charis from SIL:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=FontDownloads

HTH,
Michael