Re: Beginner Questions

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: Re: Beginner Questions
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 08:31:50 -0700

Hi Kale,
Please reply to the list and not directly to the previous poster.
Also, these snippets are good, but they should also be complete - we
should be able to render it without error.

As a general comment, all your questions are plainly addressed in the
docs and archives.  The docs are big, but once you learn your way
around they will be your best friend.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-for-keyboards#Common-notation-for-keyboards

> How can I place additional space between a barline and the note
> immediately following it? Preferably this would effect the entire
> score rather than a single instance (although its a short song, so it
> is not a problem)

Search for "barline note space" on the list archives and you'll find
lots of help.
Also this:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-internals/BarLine#BarLine

> Also, a new question. Neither of these text spanners are rendering,
> but I'm also not getting any error messages out of them.

I'm not sure about this one... we need complete snippets.

> \cadenzaOn
>               \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) =
>                               \markup { \upright "continue at liberty,
> lacking a marked pulse" }
>                               \times 2/3
>                                       { cs,8\startTextSpan gs' ds' }
>                                       s1 s s s\stopTextSpan
>
> also:
>               \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) =
>               \markup { \upright "3''" }
>                               s2\startTextSpan
>               \bar "|"
>                               gs8\stopTextSpan