Re: Very very slow Lilypond uninstall on Windows

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Very very slow Lilypond uninstall on Windows
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 20:39:31 +0000

I've noticed a similar difference between Linux and Windows uninstall times. My Windows machine is a few years old; 3GHz Pentium with 2Gb RAM and the Linux box is a much older machine; 733MHz with maybe 768Mb RAM. The uninstall on the much slower Linux hardware is a few seconds, while on the much faster Windows hardware the uninstall takes much longer...but not anything like 32 minutes to reach 80%. Uninstall on my Windows (XP) takes maybe a few minutes.

I remember once starting an uninstall on Windows and while that was going on I went to my Linux box, uninstalled LilyPond, downloaded a newer LP and installed it before the Windows had completed the uninstall.

-David

Nick Payne wrote:
When I install a new version I uninstall the previous one. I have noticed, for quite a few versions now, that the uninstall takes a long time. I just downloaded 2.13.7 and am waiting for the uninstall of 2.13.4 to complete. It has been running for about 32 minutes so far and the uninstall progress bar is at about 80%.

This machine is dual boot. If I boot into Ubuntu and run the uninstall of the same version, it takes only a few seconds to complete. I've tried on two different Windows machines, one running Windows 7 and one running XP, and the extremely slow uninstall happens on both. Installation on both runs quite satisfactorily.

Nick