Re: Very very slow Lilypond uninstall on Windows

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Very very slow Lilypond uninstall on Windows
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:07:00 +0000

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:55:41PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Patches appreciated.  I don't have a clue why this happens.
>
> It's because LilyPond uses the NSIS scons-enabled "list all installed
> files, and then only remove what's been installed" mode. It would be
> easier and quicker to have an non-logged installation and then only do
> rm -rf (or the Windows equivalent), but then if a user has put some
> valuable data in LilyPond installation (sub)folder, this data could be
> lost. What we do is the safest way, however its slowness (and I'm not
> sure we should change it).
>
> An easy workaround is to delete everything but one line in the
> files.txt file, and then delete everything manually.

Maybe I misunderstand... windows takes 30 minutes to delete a
known list of files?  I mean, we *have* files.txt, so we know
what's been installed.  on unix, I'd do something like
  cat files.txt | xargs rm
and it would take a few seconds.

is the installer looking at some windows database to get the
filelist?  would it be faster to just get the /path/to/lilypond
from the windows database, then run through the entire files.txt?

(I suppose that somebody could theoretically modify one of the
base lilypond files -- probably a .ly -- and lose those changes,
but I'm not worried about that.  If they're screwing with the
installed files, then they should be advanced enough to either
know what they're doing, or mature enough to take the hit when
they lose work due to their own fault)

Cheers,
- Graham