Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:47:33 +0100

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 06:11:26PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> But if there is roadmap, design and vision, I have not yet been able
>> to find it in the obvious places I have been looking for.
>
> The information for developers is the CG.

The manuals don't tell anything about "CG", where it is, what it does.
<URL:http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/> does not tell.  There
is no directory of that name in the distribution.

> I have a rough roadmap and vision in my head (assuming those terms
> mean "plan for the future"), but completely lack the developers to
> implement it.  So there's no point writing it down.

Wrong, because it means that nobody can work in the right direction even
if he wanted to.  If you write "at one point of time, we want the
following code to work:", that gives people a goal to work towards.
Beginning contributors can massage code until it achieves a certain
thing.  But they can't figure out what is a good idea and what not, and
what fits into the general scheme of Lilypond, and what not.

You waste the low-level contributors in that manner, adding to your
resource shortage.

> As for the CG... would you prefer it if Carl stopped answering
> your emails, and wrote stuff for the CG instead?  Would you prefer
> it if we kidnapped Carl, strapped him to a wooden board, and
> whipped him until he wrote more CG *and* still answered emails?

I can make no educated guess, since I don't know what the CG is.  It is
likely that I should be called names for that, but I don't see any
obvious source of information explaining it.  Not the general manuals,
not the web page, not in the FAQ, not in the learning manual, not even
in the Wiki AFAICS.

> We can't demand any more work than what people are willing to do.  I
> think we should *thank* the past/present developers for the work they
> did/are doing, not demand that they work more.

Tell that to Killian.

> I've done everything I can to create the organizational
> infrastructure.  We have the Extending manual for how to program
> lilypond.  We have the CG for how to interact with git + the developer
> community.  We have the Frogs to train a new generation of developers.

Where or what is "the CG"?  Where do the Frogs train their new
generation of developers?

Why aren't they mentioned on
<URL:http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/>?

> Other than kidnap + torture, of course.  I might vote for this, but it
> strikes me that it might cause long-term problems... I mean, who'd
> want to become a lilypond developer if they knew that _they_ might be
> subjected to waterboarding in 5-10 years?

My impression is that the waterboarding starts right away.  Of course,
the answers will not prove very high quality.

--
David Kastrup