Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:05:26 +0000

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 08:47:33PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The information for developers is the CG.
>
> The manuals don't tell anything about "CG", where it is, what it does.
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/> does not tell.  There
> is no directory of that name in the distribution.

In case you've been living under a rock, there's a new website
that's almost ready.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/
in particular, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/development

would it be nice if this new website was _ready_, and not "almost
ready"?  Definitely.

> > I have a rough roadmap and vision in my head (assuming those terms
> > mean "plan for the future"), but completely lack the developers to
> > implement it.  So there's no point writing it down.
>
> Wrong, because it means that nobody can work in the right direction even
> if he wanted to.  If you write "at one point of time, we want the
> following code to work:", that gives people a goal to work towards.

Ok.  Start with "no high-priority or regression-priority bugs".

> You waste the low-level contributors in that manner, adding to your
> resource shortage.

The waste in my high-level contributions far outweighs the waste
of low-level contributors.

> Where or what is "the CG"?  Where do the Frogs train their new
> generation of developers?
>
> Why aren't they mentioned on
> <URL:http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/>?

Again, new website.  Yes, I'll fill in the "help wanted" section
if and when the new website is almost ready.

Since almost nothing has happened in the past two months, I'm not
holding my breath.  I've been working on getting development
packages out there... including having it working on OSX 10.6.
Is that more or less important than the new website?  I don't
know.  I decided it was, but I really have no evidence to support
my decision to abandon the website in favor of that work.

*shrug*  maybe that was a mistake.  But it was _my_ mistake to
make, since it was my time stake.  (rhyme unintentional)

- Graham