Re: Quit

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Quit
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:06:09 +0000

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:49:28PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Also seen several times are people sending /lots/ of questions,
> > be it users or developers, and after everything has been
> > answered, the user quits or potential developers says she has no
> > time or does not thing she is up for it after all.
>
> If the gist of the relevant answers are placed in the docs rather than
> put to rot in the list archives, the effort has not been wasted.

Given that we have 0 people working on the docs, I doubt that the
relevant answers are making their way into the docs.

> > While I do not have a final verdict on this, it seems safe to spend
> > most of our development efforts on developing.
>
> There is a limit to how much development each of "us" can do.  There is
> no limit to how many persons "we" can be.

I entirely agree... but how many new persons have we had recently?

Let me put it another way: if *you're* not willing to step forward
and work out the baby steps towards being a "fully-fledged"
developer (and ideally write docs to help the next people
interested), then who else is going to do it?

Ok, maybe your desired task is too difficult... so pick a
different bug/feature to fix/implement, spend a few weeks learning
how to fix it, then submit docs to help other people reach that
level.

If you spend a month or two doing that, it would definitely help
the next person.  Then you could take a break for a month, and
that person could go through the frustration of figuring things
out, and hopefully write docs about the next stage.  Then maybe a
third person could learn from the docs that you both wrote, and go
even further.

Or, you know, we could just totally waste this discussion and
whine about the current state of affairs without doing anything to
fix it.

- Graham