Re: Orphaned and widowed lines in \markuplines - a typography bug!

From: Jiri Zurek (Prague)
Subject: Re: Orphaned and widowed lines in \markuplines - a typography bug!
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:12:11 -0800 (PST)

Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> Yet, it might have been an artefact of an inappropriate page breaking
> algorithm, hence the suggestion,

Dear Nicolas, I highly value your suggestions, so I tried with the
ly:minimal-breaking immediately after I received your reply. However, the
problem persists.

Nicolas Sceaux wrote:

> Your post is absolutely unnecessary, btw.

I do not think my post is "absolutely unnecessary" as you say, since it
points out an important Lilypond limitation, even if the solution cannot be
provided now (I still hope it can). I would even say it is a bug of
Lilypond, since Lilypond is designed to provide beautiful engraving. It does
its job most of the time. Nevertheless, the rule about the orphaned/widowed
lines belongs to the basic typography rules. If Lilypond does not take this
rule into account, then, I think, it is a bug and so, it brings this issue
to the eyes of those who care about the bug-list of Lilypond, who, then, may
consider adding this small improvement to the next versions.