Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 05:59:04 -0700

On 11/11/09 4:23 PM, "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden> wrote:

>> spannerText =
>> #(define-music-function (parser location span-text)
>> (string?)
>>   #{
>>       \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details
>> left text) = #$span-text
>>   #")
>>
>> which would allow above example to be coded much more
>> easily in the input
>> file
>>
>> \spannerText "rit."
>> b1\startTextSpan
>> e,\stopTextSpan
>>
>> but would hide the underlying LilyPond functionality (the
>> \override) and
>> make users less likely to learn how to do overrides that
>> they may need to do
>> for their own challenging music.
>>
>> Stay tuned for the GLISS, and get your own opinion in.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Carl
>>

> Hello David and Carl,
>      I was really excited to read David's suggestion for \startTextSpan
> taking an argument.  For me, it makes much more sense and flows better
> when entering notes to write:
>
> b1\startTextSpan "accel."
> c,\stopTextSpan "a tempo"
>
> than the syntax Carl has used above.  I cannot imagine any scenario
> where this would hinder one's understanding of the \override syntax and
> am curious what the reasoning is behind this assumption.
>
> To me, this syntax looks a lot like:
>
> b1^"so easy to learn, retain, type..."
> c,_"...and teach!"
>
> Just my two cents.  I'm not a programmer but would be happy to test the
> heck out of this functionality if you know how to implement it, David.
> Well, I'm also happy to test Carl's syntax too if that's the way
> most people prefer it; it's still way better than having to "override"
> the text spanner to enter text (which is still not as bad as having to
> draw your own splayed stem when you click the splayed stem button in
> Finale!).

Yes, but implementing the syntax that David proposes requires changes to the
parser (which is a difficult challenge, for me).

The syntax I proposed can be implemented by you, right now, by just copying
and pasting the code I posted into your lilypond file (or into another file,
say spannertext.ily, and then including spannertext.ily in all of your
lilypond files).  So there's no need to wait for us -- just go ahead and use
it right now.

Thanks,

Carl