Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:45:31 +0100

> Hi Jan,
>
>> I'm just pointing out that choosing something different will
>> --currently still -- cost you.
>
> Absolutely... and, as we've witnessed, this is almost certainly
> materially affecting the number of developers that can/will work on
> Lilypond.
>
> Like it or not, >95% of the computer world is not on Linux — for
> example, see <http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php>, which puts
> Linux at ~2.2% share. Put another way, the difficulty of setting up a
> development system on anything but Linux is a significant obstacle to
> Lilypond's potential.

It's not as bad as the numbers suggest.  The ratio of serious developers
who will balk at getting their development environment up and running
will not be all that large.

I think that the user base is affected more than the developer base.
But again: batch processing is something that tends to scare more
Windows users than Linux/Unix/etc.

--
David Kastrup