Re: developers developers developers

From: Frédéric Bron
Subject: Re: developers developers developers
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 23:31:23 +0100

> Again, the only solution is to get more people involved.  Is it
> easy?  No, but the only way to make it easier for new developers
> is for more people to join, learn stuff, then write about what
> they learned.

Hi, I would like to share my experience of starting lilypond
developer. I am already a C++ programmer (half of my every day work).
First I understood I had to use git which I did not know. I went to
the git web site and found that so exciting compared to svn I used
before that I read books about it during 2 months, then converted all
my business projects to git and use git everyday for my lilypond
scores. For that I say thank you lilypond.
Then I understood I could not do anything with a Windows computer. As
I am using a PC that can only have Windows (not mine...) I understood
from the list that I could try VirtualBox: again wonderful experience.
I installed Ubuntu and I am now in a position to help with fixing some
bugs, improving the documentation. Sorry I did not use the iso because
I like to learn how it works, also I did not use Carl's git interface
because I love using terminals only.

So my first thought about lilypond is thank you for giving me the
opportunity to discover really state of the art/modern tools. OK it
may be the second because the first is thank you for so beautiful
sheet music and for a text input so that we can use a versionning
system to record any version of a file.

Then I tried to give a bit of help: here I must say that grep is my
friend. grep is really a wonderful tool but I was used to it well
before.

Today my difficulties to help more in lilypond are:
1. to understand the internal of lilypond, in particular, the
interaction between C++ code and scheme code
2. to understand scheme code.

But maybe I am the only one to blame as this may already be explained
somewhere in the so large documentation.

Frédéric