Ossias/footnotes

From: George_
Subject: Ossias/footnotes
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:46:17 -0800 (PST)

I have a part of my score that looks a bit like this:

<< { \grace { \times 2/3 { d32[ ees f] } } ees8-3( d-2) d4-1 r8 bes'16-4 aes
g f-1 ees-3 d-2 }
\new Staff \with {
\remove "Time_signature_engraver"
\remove "Bar_engraver"
alignAboveContext = #"main"
fontSize = #-3
\override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep -3)
\override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep -3)
firstClef = ##f
}
{ e8[( \prall d]) }

I would like the ossia staff to be above the main staff, if possible. It
also looks a bit strange, since the spacing between notes on the ossia staff
are the same as the notes on the main staves; basically, there's already a
vertical dimension override in the snippet I posted; how do I make a
horizontal dimension override as well? In addition (I'm asking for a lot,
aren't I...? :p) if possible, it would be nice to get rid of some of the
bits of ossia staff around the ossia.

I would have used a footnote for this (it would have been much better
looking and much more convenient, I think), but I haven't found anything on
the forums or in the Notation Reference which says that footnotes are
possible. If there is a way, that would be much preferred over an ossia.

Thanks for the help

George