Force staff height

From: George_
Subject: Force staff height
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:58:30 -0800 (PST)

I'm using the pianoforte template with centered dynamics, and I'm concerned
that the staves are too big. Specifically, when there are dynamics in the
staff, the space between the two staves (whatever it's called) is really
big, and it looks kind of awkward. I think this is made worse by some notes
I have extending below and above the treble and bass staves respectively,
but still the space is unnecessarily big. There's a lot of empty space there
and it looks disconcerting. Basically what I'd like to do is to force them
to be a bit smaller.

In regards to this bit of the template:

\override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)

as far as I understand it this controls the minimum spacing between the two
staves, because changing this has no effect on the look of the score if
there are dynamics and aforementioned notes in the staff.

In the Internals Reference I found the section on the VerticalAxisGroup, and
I put in the score:

\override VerticalAxisGroup #'max-stretch = #4

But it doesn't seem to do anything. Am I using it right? Or is that the
wrong thing for the job entirely?

Thanks for your time

George