Re: Beginner's questions

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: Beginner's questions
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:31:33 +0000

I think that the likely problem is that you should change:

<do''2 reb''2>

to:

<do'' reb''>2

You have specified a chord and the time values for chords takes place after the chord.

-David

Pierre RUEL wrote:
Hello,
I'm just beginning with Lilypond (after some years of practice with other notation softwares). In fact I've produced some PC programmed music and wan't to use Lilypond as an interface between VBA produced .txt code and music. I have a huge .ly file of more than 400 A4 pages and the .log window lists a relatively small number of various errors but indefinitely repeated. And I have some difficulty to understand the .log observations. For instance, the .log stops at (sorry I'm of french mother thongue and use "italiano.ly"):
<do''2 reb''2>
and the analysis of the soft says:
"syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting > or DRUM_PITCH or MUSIC_FUNCTION or NOTENAME_PITCH"
<
 do''2 reb''2>
Could anybody explain  what is that "guilty" STRING ?

I don't understand either why a > is expected here.

Additional precision: I've a "relative c''" at the beginning and I shouldn't write '' after the notes (I believe). In fact I get the same errors with or without the '' after the notes themselves.
Thant you for any explanation.
Friendly regards
Pierre