Re: Frets without string information

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Frets without string information
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 10:14:20 -0700

On 11/20/09 9:51 PM, "Jesús Guillermo Andrade" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Dear fellows: I've read in several places that it is impossible to
> transpose frets with string information. How can one create a fret
> without it? I'd like to make lilypond able to transpose the basic
> frets I am putting together.

There are two ways to have LilyPond handle transposes in fret diagrams.

The first is to let the automatic fretboard calculation work.  In this case,
chords will be expanded to notes, and the notes will be transposed, and then
a new fretboard will be calculated with these notes.  However, if strings
are part of the entered chord, then the new fretboard will be calculated
using those strings (and that's not likely to be be the best fretboard, at
least for guitars).

The second way is to define a full set of chords that are desired (see
ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly for an example for guitar).  Then leave
all string indications out of the chord (although they are in the
fretboards).  Then, when the chord is transposed it will be transposed to a
different code, which is then used to look up a different fretboard.

Neither of these cases actually involves transposing a fret diagram.  Both
involve transposing notes, then determining a new fret diagram given the
transposed notes.

HTH,

Carl