monophonic to polyphonic in with tab

From: Hugh Myers
Subject: monophonic to polyphonic in with tab
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:38:11 -0700

The following doesn't work(the commented out line in the TabStaff):

\version "2.12.2"
%
% test5.ly -- q&d testbed for mixed notation score and tab.
%
eMinor = < e   b  gis  e b e, >
firstBar = { \eMinor \eMinor \eMinor }

{
\time 3/4
<<
  \new Staff \relative c'' {
    \firstBar
    << { b c d } \\ { < gis, d e, >2. } >>
  }
  \new TabStaff \relative c' {
    \firstBar
%    << { b c d } \\ { < gis, d e, >2. } >>

What might? As the music in question transitions from monophonic to
polyphonic at will, I'd like to develop a general solution, but am
clueless at the moment.

--hsm
p.s. obviously I'm new to Lilypond so comments on anything else I'm
missing are certainly in order and welcome...
p.s.s. how do I get the first bar of the first measure numbered 1?