Re: \set vs \override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \set vs \override
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:56:08 +0100

Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> I will not doctor the documentation before I consider myself having a
>> clue.  And I am nowhere near that yet.
>>
> From the bread-crumb trail of your posts on the various lists, it
> looks like you're exploring a similar set of avenues I was going down
> earlier this year.

Looks like developer time and resources can be saved by blocking those
avenues.

> I had a look at the context*.cc /.hh files and it looked like this was
> the distinction
> \set simply assigns a value to the property
> \unset - clear any value previous value given to this property by a
> prior \set.
> \override - set the property to the new value and push the old value
> onto an internal stack
> \revert - pop any previously saved value from the internal stack and
> assign it to the property

Yes, and the names and documentation reflect these functionalities quite
well.  What they don't reflect is why properties ending in grobs and
context properties should be manipulated with different commands.

> Anyhow, at this point by brain began to overheat with trying to juggle
> too many new concepts at once and I decided to go for the simple
> approach and do what I wanted using functions.
>
> It looks like you're made of sterner stuff than me, so if you do keep
> at it and get a handle on the concepts, let us know what you've worked
> out on the Frogs list, please, so we can get all these bells and
> whistles recorded in the documentation.

I hate bells and whistles, so at the moment I am more bent on
obliterating rather than recording them.  We'll see how much of that I
find myself able to do.

--
David Kastrup