Re: \set vs \override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \set vs \override
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:26:53 +0100

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Sigh.  I guess I give up.  Yes, I understood that.  Pretty much from the
>> get-go, and also from the manual.  The unanswered question is _why_ you
>> want only _one_ of the two different things happen to _one_ half of the
>> properties, and the _other_ of the two different things happen to the
>> _other_.
>
> Because that's what people want?

You have not convinced me that I want it.

>   \override Script #'direction = #UP
>
> is useful.
>
>   \set Script = #(blah)
>
> is ridiculous, because it would overwrite

Indeed ridiculous.  How about using comparable things?  We are talking
about something like

\override Script #'staff-padding = #3

vs

\set Script.staff-padding = #3

Why should I not use the second one rather than the first if I am out
for establishing a global default?

> thereby removing all of its functionality, including appearance of the
> symbol in the output.
>
> If this is so unlogical to you that it needs to be explained, I give
> up explaining things to you.

Explaining things to me can't be much fun.  It might be worth cutting
the exercise short by explaining what I am asking about rather than
something else.

--
David Kastrup