Re: what's wrong?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: what's wrong?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:32:04 +0100

Am Dienstag, 24. November 2009 22:59:26 schrieb Ole Schmidt:
> Can someone please take a look at my code- it compiles whithout an
>  errorwarning but looks very strange. Maybe I overlooked something simple?

HINT: Sometimes it can be extremely helpful to add some barline
checks every now and then (actually, in all scores that I write with
lilypond, I insert a barcheck, i.e. a |, after each and evry measure,
and a bar number check, i.e. \barNumberCheck #10, every 5 or 10
measures.

See:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Bars#Bar-and-bar-number-checks

The problem with your score is that you messed up one measure
somewhere down the line, so that the bar lines would happen
during notes, so lilypond can't find proper positions to break the
staves.

Simply try to insert | every few measures and lilypond will immediately
tell you where the notes don't sum up nicely to these bar lines...

Cheers,
Reinhold

PS: I strongly discourage you to structure the lilypond input after the
original you are copying. In particular, while it might seem much easier
if you use one line in the lilypond file per music line on your original score,
as soon as you get to the proofreading stage, you'll have trouble finding
the correct place in the lilypond file if you need to change some notes...
My advice is to add measure numbers to your original and structure the
input file by bar numbers. In particular, I usually write exactly one measure
per line, but for your score it might be easier to write exactly five measures
per line in the lilypond file.
Since lilypond prints bar numbers in the output, you'll always easily find the
lilypond code that generated a particular note...

PS 2: If you really don't find the problem(s) yourself:
-) Zweite Seite, fünfte Zeile: There is a 8. where an 8 would be correct (i.e.
    you have 1/16 too much in that measure)
-) Dritte Seite, dritte Zeile: I suppose the first ties as should be as4~,
while
    in your example it takes the duration from the note before (i.e. a half
note).
-) Dritte Seite, fünfte Zeile: You write "\times 3/4 ces4 ", which is a triplet
on
    the ces, not a 3/4 time signature (notice the difference between \times
    and \time...)

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886