Re: Font questions

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Font questions
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 01:51:26 +0100

Father Gordon Gilbert wrote:
Thanks Alexander,

But now how about my e-acute in Brebeuf? I'm in UTF-8, and it's not showing up.

Hunh. Now, that's strange. Are you really sure about the correct encoding?
If in doubt, send the file along; e-acute is no problem at all and should be contained in all versions of font ever published.

You could also check it in Notepad; AFAIK, all versions offer an option to select the file encoding in the "open" dialog. Select UTF-8 there, and check if the critical letters are rendered correctly. If this does not yield the same output after running LilyPond, definitely send the file, since you probably ran into a bug. (Although, to be honest, I can't imagine it.)

Also, how do you put those U+0222 type characters into the .ly file?

This depends on your editor and/or operating system. Since your on Windows, there is an optional install of a "character table" in the "miscellaneous programs" section. (I'm not entirely sure about their names in English, though.) There, you can select and copy the symbols. You can sort them by Unicode name, Unicode page (aka the "section" of several alphabets a letter belongs to), and the U+ code, IIRC. (The "eights" are called "LATIN CAPITAL/SMALL LETTER OU").

For most mail clients (including Webmail clients in browsers), you could also select the letter in my mail and just use the clipboard (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, for É, é, Ȣ or ȣ). On the negative side, this relies on your client showing the correct encoding, which sometimes fails - i.e., the letters in the last parentheses show up as E-acute, e-acute, and two 8-like symbols. The same holds for (e.g.) Wikipedia articles about letters (or names), where you can look for the letter in the text and copy & paste it. (Most of those articles show both the letter as a "real" writing and as a graphic, in case the reader has no font available which includes this very symbol.) If you can't find it there, the last resort is the Unicode consortium web page, where all known letters are listed.

Last but not least, some editors themselves offer character tables or character input dialogs. I'm not sure about LilyPondTool, though. (I'm using Emacs, whose recent versions support C-x 8 RET / M-x ucs-insert key sequences to insert a letter by either the U+ code or the Unicode name - very handy.)

Cheers,
Alexander