Re: Bar length loop

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Bar length loop
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:18:17 +0100

Uri Sala wrote:
Hi,
How can I loop automatically through a constant series of bar lengths, such as
3/4 2/4 5/4   3/4 2/4 5/4  3/4 2/4 5/4 ...etc ?

Making a compound bar of 3+2+5 / 4 doesn't serve me, btw.

Hi.

The easiest way, if the number of bars per timing is always the same, is probably of the following kind:

  timeSigs = {
    \repeat unfold 42 { %% How many loop iterations you have
      %% Change those to match one "cycle" of your loop
      \time 3/4     s2.*4
      \time 2/4     s2*8
      \time 5/4     s*5/4
    }

    %% Here comes the coda:
    \time 1729/257  s1*1729/257 \bar "|."
  }
  melody = { ... }

  \score {
    \new Staff {
      <<
        \timeSigs
        \melody

You might consider hiding the time signatures, though, and print a compound signature at the beginning. Perhaps the score looks cleaner then (without all the time signatures in between, which are not strictly necessary if the pattern stays always the same), but you still get the benefit of automatic barlines and bar checks. If it's always just one measure between two timing changes, I've also seen the compound signature, but dashed barlines where the timing changes.

YMMV, though - find out what looks best for you.

Cheers,
Alexander