Re: Swung quaver notation

From: Philip Potter
Subject: Re: Swung quaver notation
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:42:56 +0000

> 2009/11/27 -Eluze <address@hidden>:
>>

>> Philip Potter wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to get a direction for swung quavers at the top of my score.
>>> What I want is:
>>>
>>> quaver-beam-quaver = triplet[ crotchet quaver ]
>>>

>> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=204 lsr helps:
>> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=204

Ok I tried this out and it does the job great, thank you very much. I
have some questions though:

I seem to have to put this markup into a score. I am producing a score
and parts: ie one score with all parts shown, and one separate part
for each instrument. As a result, each instrument separately needs to
include the swung quaver mark, and the score needs it too; but only
once. If I put the swung quaver mark into each part, it produces the
output I want, but I get warnings from lilypond:
warning: Two simultaneous mark events, junking this one
warning: Previous mark event here[8][16][24][32]
because in the full score, each part is separately specifying a swung
quaver markup at the same point.

My questions are as follows:
* is it possible to specify this markup at the staffgroup or book
level, rather than at the score level, to avoid duplicate definition
of marks and getting these warnings?
* Is there any other way to do this in some more correct way which
prevents warnings from being thrown up?

It got me thinking about rehearsal marks which are implemented similarly:
* If I want rehearsal marks to show up in the score and all parts, do
rehearsal marks have to be specified within each part separately?
Isn't this an unnecessary and error-prone duplication of information?
Shouldn't these things be specified in one place only?

I notice that if I put a \mark \default in part #1 at bar 2, but in
part #1 at bar 3, then the full score has rehearsal mark A at bar 2
and B at bar 3; but the separate part for part #1 has A at bar 2 and
nothing at bar 3, while the separate part for part #2 has A (not B!)
at bar 3 and nothing at bar 2. This would happen if I put rehearsal
marks in all parts but mistakenly misalign them -- everything suddenly
goes totally screwy. Lilypond issues no diagnostics to report a
problem here.

Of course, to avoid printing the "wrong" rehearsal mark one can
specify \mark #1 in both parts, and then you won't get an erroneous B
mark; but then you lose the benefits of having the computer do the
counting for you.

Philip