Re: parallelMusic and repeat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: parallelMusic and repeat
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:08:46 +0100

-Eluze <address@hidden> writes:

> Federico Bruni-3 wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use \parallelMusic to write polyphonic pieces.
>> Unfortunately, I can't use \repeat and \alternative, otherwise
>> everything breaks up. In fact, it interprets each line as a new
>> measure, it can't see the voices anymore.
>>
>> I wonder if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.. (I attach a
>> simple example)
>>
>> And there's any workaround?
>>
> i think \parallelMusic is just thought for a quick and easy input -
> without sophisticated structuring of a piece!

In my personal opinion, tools of "quick and easy" nature that do not fit
well with the rest of Lilypond, partly because a "proper" implementation
would require quite more invasive changes, don't belong in the core
language but in the LSR.

If they can't work properly in all the usual circumstances without
parser and/or language support, then either this needs to be treated
like a bug or the feature is just LSR level.

You could say I am sort of a burnt child coming from the TeX/LaTeX
world.  There are a lot of hacks around that don't play nice with each
other and that make, for example, editor support or document
parsing/translation a hard thing.

And if you want to implement a new complex feature, then 90% of the time
is spent working on compatibility with the most-often used other hacks
that are considered "standard".

Maybe one would need a standard test suite template with multiple
voices, input methods, repeats and midi output, and any new feature that
gets moved into core needs to get this template expanded into the test
suite, and every test failure is automatically a bug.

Maybe GLISS could also be about processes for channeling the "let's just
hack something approximately working into Lilypond" urge.

--
David Kastrup