Re: parallelMusic and repeat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: parallelMusic and repeat
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:58:29 +0100

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> -Eluze <address@hidden> writes:
>>> i think \parallelMusic is just thought for a quick and easy input -
>>> without sophisticated structuring of a piece!
>>
>> In my personal opinion, tools of "quick and easy" nature that do not fit
>> well with the rest of Lilypond, partly because a "proper" implementation
>> would require quite more invasive changes, don't belong in the core
>> language but in the LSR.
>
> To be honest: +1.
> Although it's an example of a functionality that IMHO is to valuable
> to be hidden inside the LSR without mentioning it in the NR,

If it is valuable, doing it properly should be a priority.  The current
workflow does not seem to make the requisite bug reports/tasks appear in
parallel with the first draft implementation of a feature.

> and having it in the core at least gives a /little bit/ of
> standardization.

Standardization does not mean "let's call the current inconsistent
ad-hoc behavior standard".  A standard needs to make sense of its own,
not just be a side-effect of a particular implementation.

The proper order of things is to _first_ make something work
consistently, _then_ elevate it to the level of "standard".  Calling it
"standard" before means you have to support something (for example in
convert-ly) that is not really coherent.

--
David Kastrup