Re: triple stop warnings

From: Philip Potter
Subject: Re: triple stop warnings
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:20:29 +0000

2009/12/11 Jay Anderson <address@hidden>:
> I've done triple-stops like this in the past:
> << c4 <g' e'>2.\fermata >>
>
> I'd prefer to do the triple-stop something more like this to avoid warnings:
> <\tweak #'duration-log #2 \tweak #'dot-count #0 c g' e'>2.\fermata |
>
> Unfortunately I can't make the dot disappear easily (the dot-count
> thing I was trying doesn't work). I could probably write a function to
> remove the dot for this case (which might not be a bad idea:
> \tripleStop <c g' e'>2.\fermata), but if there's a simple tweak to get
> rid of the dot I'd be interested to know. Does this fall under the
> recent \tweak nested properties changes? Thanks.

Is this notation something you've seen other music producers use? It
sounds like you want a chord with a crotchet at the bottom and two
fermata'd minims at the top; and you want to ignore the warning about
the lower crotchet not being the same length as the minims. I'm not
convinced that this is the best way to do what you want, but I'm not a
string player so I'm not familiar with string music conventions.

Something similar is done in "using ties with arpeggios" in the manual:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Writing-rhythms#Ties
and it does what you want but it's not quite what you asked for.

Another way is to represent the two halves of the chord as two or
three voices, and just put rests in each voice while it isn't playing.
You could then make the rests invisible to get something like what you
were originally asking for.

You could represent the double-stop as a tied appoggiatura. I think
this is the best way to be explicit about what you want.

Or you could just put a full chord in and expect the player to know
what that means. Isn't this how triple stops are normally done? Eg
Elgar cello concerto, first two chords:
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/LookInside/ElgarVc.html
Tchaikovsky 6th symphony, third movement ending:
http://bennewhouse.berkleemusicblogs.com/2009/09/24/a-tchaikovsky-chord-stops/

Phi