Re: acciaccatura: multiple notes with line drawn through the stem

From: Philip Potter
Subject: Re: acciaccatura: multiple notes with line drawn through the stem
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:30:24 +0000

2009/12/11 stefankaegi <address@hidden>:
> Hi
>
> I have a litte problem with acciaccatura. I have something like this:
>

> \acciaccatura { c16 [ d16 e16 ]}
>

> Now I'd like to have this line drawn through the stem like I would have
> it when it would be a single note.

I see you didn't get a response to this the first time. I'm afraid I
can't help you except to note that the Grace Notes section of the
manual
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Special-rhythmic-concerns#Grace-notes
has this to say:
"Known issues and warnings

A multi-note beamed acciaccatura is printed without a slash, and looks
exactly the same as a multi-note beamed appoggiatura. "

IOW, it's a known bug. Can't say if/when it might be fixed though.
Perhaps the problem is that a slash on one note is standardised
notation, but a slash on multiple grace notes is not, particularly
since the notes can have arbitrary relative vertical position, so
getting a slash to go through them all might be tricky.

I don't think you necessarily have a problem here. When you see
multiple grace notes, they are normally interpreted acciaccatura -- as
short as possible -- not appoggiatura -- taking a fixed fraction of
the note they're attached to. See for example Schmuyle's theme from
Pictures at an Exhibition:
http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/images/first_pages/BIG/Mussorgsky/Pictures2First_BIG.gif
[passages starts after |: repeat bar.]
The single acciaccatura is slashed, the multiple grace notes are not
slashed, but they are all played as short as possible.

[IMO the appoggiatura is a stupid notation which should be consigned
to the dustbin. If you meant a quaver, write a quaver! Without the
appoggiatura we wouldn't have this stupid mess.]

Phil